Sunday, September 11, 2011

Zucchini "Pasta," and other ramblings

Sorry for the couple day break! It's been a long weekend, working as an Orientation Assistant (helping incoming freshmen out) at my college!

Anways! I have heard about the recipe for a long time, and I thought I'd try it myself. I sort of played it by ear. It's a great and VERY QUICK recipe that works really well for days you don't feel like thinking too much about cooking. It's also an awesome way to incorporate veggies into your diet without really noticing it!


ZUCCHINI "PASTA"
One zucchini makes approximately one serving.

Soo basically what happens here is.. you make pasta. Out of zucchini. Yep.

What you need:
Salt (to add to boiling water.. I used sea salt)
1 medium to large zucchini 
Whatever toppings you would normally put on spaghetti! (e.g. mozzarella, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, etc.)


What you do:
1. Slice zucchini into skinny "noodles." Usually this can be done more efficiently (mine were thick, so I had to cook them for longer). I had misplaced my peeler for this meal, but I would suggest using a peeler if you have one (just don't make the "noodles" too thin!).
2. Bring about half a pot of lightly salted water to a boil (uncovered).
3. Add "noodles" to pot, and turn down heat to medium/medium-high. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, uncovered (the length of time will change depending on how thick or thin you sliced your zucchini). The key is to make sure that your zucchini is wilty/droopy and acts "pasta"-like when you hold it on your fork. 


4. Take out the zucchini and strain the water out. 
5. Put in a bowl, add toppings, and enjoy! (I used mozzarella and way too much Italian seasoning.. thanks to the lid falling off of the bottle. Blech.) 




ON TO THE NEXT...

I ran 10 miles this morning. At a 9 minute pace. In the sun - not my usual 6 AM dark, dark, dark run. I had two buddies (a trainer and a friend) to help push me out there. I love days where I challenge myself and push myself to the limit. If I can keep up a 9 min pace for my final half marathon, I will be as pleased as cheese (just made that up... wah).

By the way, I highly recommend the Nike+ GPS app for iPhones. It's amazing. I've never had any problems with it. Ever.



Love you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment